Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Subaru Safari




www.rally.com.au

I have always been a little interested in rally, and I am familiar with rally cars mechanicaly. I have worked for Toyota for a few years and got a good look at the rally cars when they were in town. Not this year, but over the last 3 years I was able to chat to Niel Bates and his mechanics as they used our workshop. I got some close up pics of the cars, engine bay and underneith. I still have a sump off a 3S-GTE they accidently left behind.

I have never taken the big step to enter rally. It should be fun (or just alot of work and money) once I decide to give it a proper go. (This is not to be underestimated. The driving takes skill, the cars are complicated). I have had some driving practice, but not heaps.

I will view the cars on Friday night, and watch the spectator stage in Geeveston. I can't be bothered going into the forrest this year. Last year we spent the weekend in the forrest with radios and stuff, as officials. We nearly got lost, but me old Corolla got us through, sideways at times.

4 Comments:

Blogger JK said...

Do you like the Peugeot Rally teams?

13 July, 2006 21:34  
Blogger Jonny said...

You must be talking about WRC. I havn't got time to follow WRC sorry. But all those cars are very high tech. I don't think Peugeot have a team in Australia.

I know about all things Toyota.

13 July, 2006 23:32  
Blogger mike said...

Have fun tomorrow. I'll be sleeping in :)

15 July, 2006 00:50  
Blogger Jonny said...

The Super Special Stage next to the Geeveston oval was not very good. The track was far too slow and no one could get any flow. The RWD cars were very slow because the ground was just too loose.

I did go into the forrest a bit, just to one spactator point. It was ok. It was a bit of fun because Jack Monkhouse was out so him and his whole support crew turned up to watch. In the end there were about 20 guys standing there, and one flashed his bum at various competitors.

17 July, 2006 13:00  

Post a Comment

<< Home