Monday, December 18, 2006

Home Making

I have the book "Home Making or The Ideal Family Life" by the Rev. J.R. Miller, D.D. Sixth edition. The hand written inscription in the front cover reads:

To Mrs Walker Fletcher. On the occasion of her marriage with very best withes from her Pastor - James Barker. Bathurst St. Church Sydney. Feb 28th 1914.

INTRODUCTORY
---+---
This book is written in the hope that its pages may carry inspiration and a little help, perhaps, to those who desire to do faithful work for God within their own doors. Its aim is to mark out the duties and responsibilities of each memeber of the household, and to suggest how each may do a part in making the home-life what God meant it to be. J.R.M.

CONTENTS
---+---
I. THE WEDDED LIFE
II. THE HUSBAND'S PART
III. THE WIFE'S PART
IV. THE PARENTS' PART
V. THE CHILDREN'S PART
VI. BROTHERS AND SISTERS
VII. THE HOME-LIFE
VIII. RELIGION IN THE HOME
IX. HOME MEMORIES

For those of you just beginning or thinking about marriage, I may give you the first chapter. Or maybe just the good bits if there is any interest in these outdated ideals.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jonny said...

This book was written in 1882 and is already on the internet along with many of his other books.
http://home-making.jr-miller.com/
So my work is done almost before it started. But what do you think?

18 December, 2006 13:01  
Blogger Carmen said...

how interesting! i'd read what you post on it.

18 December, 2006 15:20  
Blogger Keziah said...

How fascinating? How did you end up with this book? Thanks for showing where it is in on the Internet - I might have a wee read myself, but I'll be interested to see your own comments.

19 December, 2006 22:36  
Blogger Jonny said...

I found the book on my parents book shelf and read it in 1995 when I was reading books like that. My Mum may have got it at a garage sale, or had it for years I'm not sure.
And just when I thought I had something rare, I find its a popular book, on the internet, even on ebay!

20 December, 2006 10:16  

Post a Comment

<< Home