Tuesday, September 04, 2007

History of time

I am going to start a museum, just of all my things. I got my first watch (far left) in 1982. Mum said I would get a watch only if I got 100% in a spelling test. I usually got about 1 or 2 words right out of 20. I got 20/20 the very next week. (I think mum had to phone the teacher to confirm this). It was a thursday so I got Mum to take me to Coles New World in Kingston as it was late night shopping. Not many could afford a digital watch. The plain one was just fine.

In 1982 a basic digital watch cost about $130. Then prices went way down after they were given away in competitions too often. By 1985 you paid about $19 for the same watch. I had one of these, but it probably broke. Calculator watches were the good ones.

I got my Casio (second from left) in 1987 or 1988. It was a common and proven design. Stopwatch and alarm and light. Not just the cheap one. It is the same one Napoleon Dynamite had. You could set it to beep on the hour just so kids knew you had it.

In 1994 I got another Casio. The other watch was bought in 2001. And before long people didn't bother having both a watch and a phone.

3 Comments:

Blogger BSJ-rom said...

Need to aim at excellence in elegance. Have you got any of those analogue stop watches? They're pretty cool.

04 September, 2007 16:15  
Blogger Michael said...

Watches are cool, beats mobiles any day. Is this going to be a big collection?

04 September, 2007 18:08  
Blogger kat said...

i've been trying to find one of those digicool watches for ages. such a pain when the basics aren't stocked anymore.

18 September, 2007 01:37  

Post a Comment

<< Home