Friday, November 07, 2008

Food Shopping

Safeway in Vancouver Canada. This one built in 1966 of a replicted Safeway design that enhances the shopping experience.


I have been looking at a few diets lately. People choose a diet for different reasons. It could be to save money, loose fat, bulk up, increase energy, reduce global footprint, stop cruelty to animals, or other weird religious reasons. A diet that works becomes what you normally eat over an extended period of time, and no longer gets called a "diet".

Housewives weight loss diets of the 80's that didn't work:
no salt - eat everything except salt
no wheat - eat everything except bread and wheat products
no dairy - drink soy milk on your wheet-bix
pigout diet - diet hard, then pigout on Saturdays
Jenny Craig - does not work when you stop buying the powder

Housewives weight loss diets of the 90's that didn't work:
lite diet - buy everything that is "lite" or "light" or "diet". This includes "99% fat free" jelly beans, "natural" flavoured and coloured lollies, light canola oil and diet cola.

Some modern diets:
neanderthal diet - eat only what neanderthal ate
live food diet - only eat food that is or was recently alive
vegetarian - only eat meat when your tied
selective shopping - buy everything except on aisles 5 and 7
fridge diet - eat everything in the fridge that won't last a week
Tim-Tam diet - get them when on special
bogan diet - only drink when you smoke

With the Internet there is so much more info now. Go ahead and Google. But if someone was interested, I think I could have an amature stab at the following diets with reasonable results (tested on myself).

  • weight loss diet - with almost no exercise
  • weight loss diet - complimented with regular exercise

12 Comments:

Blogger Alexander said...

Yeah, this is coming from a skinny bloke, but I always thought the 'eat less' diet worked well, and the 'eat less and exercise' best of all.

So, I hear you're manorexic now?

07 November, 2008 21:14  
Blogger Jonny said...

If manorexic can still mean being on the heavy side of normal, then yes.

07 November, 2008 22:09  
Blogger Astrid said...

just to say I don't believe jc involves powders but anyway I digress the csro diet is apprently very good as it has helethy eating patterns of all the food groups

07 November, 2008 22:18  
Blogger Jonny said...

Expensive pre-packaged meals I mean, not powder. I failed to do my research. Ray Martin talked a lot about Jenny Craig on the Midday Show, in the 80's.

The CSIRO book is good I'm told, but I am reluctant to pay for anything except food itself. And I hear the recipies in the book can be expensive to put together. I buy very basic food.

08 November, 2008 00:37  
Blogger Alexander said...

Manorexic.

08 November, 2008 02:00  
Blogger Cabernet Leather said...

CSIRO is good. It seems to work if you cook from it regularly - my dad used to be very fat and lost quite a bit of weight, and Nick Bultman used to be pretty solid and is now a rake, thanks to CSIRO.

It's not that expensive either, but I suppose it depends on what you normally would pay on food.

09 November, 2008 01:54  
Blogger BSJ-rom said...

Well, if you can get regular regular medium and high intensity exercise happening (regular being three or four times a week, I dare say that you'll struggle to maintain the porkiness. But there's a big difference between high intensity and low intensity exercise. And there is also a big difference between running and weights. All are good - high intensity, low intensity, running,weights, they're all a good healthy part of your program.

09 November, 2008 15:11  
Blogger fional said...

What People need to do is:

a) Only buy one or two yummy unhealthy things when you go shopping. That way if you get the munchies at home there'll be nothing in the cupboard and, chances are, you won't be arsed walking all the way to the corner shop.

b) Find a place of employment/study that you have to walk/ride to. You have to be there each day > You have to get there > You have to walk/ride > You have to get fit.

10 November, 2008 20:03  
Blogger Alexander said...

b) or you could just catch a taxi

10 November, 2008 20:33  
Blogger Jonny said...

Thanks Fiona. I am walking to the supermarket now to get a snack.

10 November, 2008 20:46  
Blogger Astrid said...

jonny jonny if you want to be serious completition against me and renae in the point to pinnacle you are going ot have to invest in the csiro book and use all the ceating methods that jerome suggested

10 November, 2008 20:55  
Blogger Jonny said...

I just came home with two shopping bags of snacks. !!

I looked at the CSIRO book once, then put it back on the shelf. I get all my nutrition and running instruction from the internet.

Astrid, if you wanted to be serious competition, you would first have to be a man. Man, who invented the wheel. I'm sorry, it's science. I'm sure the bus will stop for you on it's way back down.

10 November, 2008 22:27  

Post a Comment

<< Home