Sunday, December 24, 2006

Christmas Cake

Um, I made a Christmas cake. A bit of a rushed job, but it's my first fruit cake in many years. The picture is not very flattering, either of my cake or my kitchen. You can see the Vegemite there that we use for many things. Once at my sisters it may get decorated. It has soft icing that I rolled out. The cake is a heavy Christmas cake, chockers full of fruit and nuts. But it may scare some people to know the substitutes I made. Instead of a cup of brandy and a cup of wine, I used 2 cups of root beer and good dash of imitation vanilla. But it didn't stop there. I didn't have enough almond nuts, so it has heaps of peanuts and walnuts. Some of the eggs were 6 months old. Instead of a orange and a lemon, I used a orange and another orange that was quite old. I didn't have a rolling pin so used a Thermos flask. A few other compromises also, but it's all good and a very nice cake. Happy Christmas.

9 Comments:

Blogger Erica said...

You made me laugh really hard when I read that!!! Haven't commented before, but you've made me laugh before :)

My mum makes and decorates amazing fruit cakes and when I read that . . . All I hope is that you weren't serious about the ingredients and that my mum never reads it!

Happy Christmas and hope you don't get sick!

God Bless,

Erica

24 December, 2006 21:53  
Blogger Jonny said...

I'm always serious and I'm feeling fine. Thanks for reading.

25 December, 2006 14:39  
Blogger fional said...

AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRHHHHHH!!!!!!

26 December, 2006 13:22  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All the other stuff I could live with, but 6 month old eggs?? And you let other people eat this?? I cringe...

Just looked at the cluster map, I think the Osaka dot is mine :)

Merry yesterday, happy new year, etc.

-Abbey

26 December, 2006 17:38  
Blogger Jonny said...

The used by date on some of the eggs was June or July, but they had been in the fridge the whole time and seamed ok. I have one peice of cake left if anyone wants it.

26 December, 2006 20:56  
Blogger Donna-May said...

so how did the cake actually taste? is everyone still alive?

31 December, 2006 14:12  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

6-month-old eggs I could live with. It's that Vegemite in the background that makes me nervous . . .

03 January, 2007 00:22  
Blogger Calico_Rabbit said...

Nice cake, Jonny - I'm impressed. Did you do the float test with the eggs or was a gas mask sufficient?

04 January, 2007 23:15  
Blogger Jonny said...

I didn't float test the eggs sorry. Mike, Christine, and Dave all had a piece. It was a good cake, but I could do better.

05 January, 2007 09:36  

Post a Comment

<< Home